Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Red Wine + Curry Stew - Student Food that Tastes Like Real Food

My mom unknowingly started some kind of in-joke by sending me a can of chickpeas in every single care package she sends me; now I expect a new addition to my collection whenever I get a box from her! But.. the problem is.. what to actually make with them? She suggested I should stew them with tomatoes and whatever other random stuff might be in the house. So I did! I definitely did NOT expect stew magic. But this bad boy was actually delicious enough to warrant pulling out my camera and trying to document it for the future. It was dirt cheap and sooooooo tasty. Really sticks to your ribs in the best kind of way! 
Here's what I used:

*1 can of cooked chickpeas, drained
* 1 can of stewed tomatoes plus juices
* 1 cup of fresh leaf spinach
* 1 sweet potato, chopped
* 3 new potatoes, chopped
* 1/2 red onion, chopped

* About 1 cup red cooking wine [ie that bottle of wine we opened and drank most of last weekend]
* Squirt lemon juice
* 1/4 can canned curry sauce
* Paprika, herbs, salt, pepper, other spices to taste


In a large pot, I let the chickpeas, tomatoes (and juice), and onion simmer on medium and added the wine, lemon juice, and curry sauce. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.

While the pot is simmering, chop the potatoes, sweet and regular, into little cubes and boil them in a small pan on high heat. When they're soft but not totally done (5-7 minutes), add them to the stew pot and let it do its thing.

When the stew is piping hot [but never boiling] and a taste test reveals that everything is as it should be, it's ready! For me the whole thing took about 15 minutes and made 3 huge servings. For a pittance! :)
 Mmmmmmm.

xoxo

5 comments:

Katelyn R. said...

Sounds really good. I'll have to give it a try. But the bottle you used most of last weekend? who ever heard of such a thing. More like most of last night...

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious and wintery! But spring is almost here...!

Anya

Yash... said...

YUM

Anonymous said...

Your mom sounds very clever, and very talented.

pearlswirl said...

Haha, thanks everybody! Spring is almost here! (i desperately hope...) and Katelyn I adore you and miss you!!!! And mom, you're a genius.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...