Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mountain Pillow

[My dad calls this 'Smaug guarding the mountain.']

Here's a pillow I made for my dad for Christmas. I love handmaking gifts for everyone but it's hard to make things for someone who has approximately 3 passions in life: 1. drinking expensive whisky; 2. taking photos with big fancy cameras; and 3. being active outdoors. The last thing I made for him was this frame, which I think he liked, but I definitely dropped the ball this year on leaving myself time to make gifts, so something like that wouldn't do. Then, somehow, the idea popped into my head to make him a mountain pillow for his man-cave or whatever. I used some 'winter knits' fabric [think Mexican poncho] plus some wool felt for the snow-capped summit. The back is some super-soft navy blue baby-whale corduroy. The whole thing is handsewn, and I embroidered a little running man making his way around the mountain.

It's a hit with the cats, which everyone knows is the highest level of prestige your handcraft can be given. When a cat thinks, 'Today's goal is to sleep for 7 straight hours while rubbing my butt up against this new pillow'... you know you've done something right. 



























xoxo

5 comments:

Kelly's Korner said...

Darling! The cats too! :)

Adrienne said...

What a neat idea! Too cute!

Yash... said...

Love the pillow!!!! THANKS!!! (But I was wondering what that smell came from. Now I know.

Jennifer said...

love love love the pillow! Genius. Pure genius for a guy gift.

pearlswirl said...

thanks everyone! :) :) the kitties really make it i think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...