Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Handmade Advent Calendar

Hello blog! I know I've been a bit neglectful for the last few weeks, even though I have sooo much inspiration and more ideas than ever of things I want to share! I just don't. have. the. time!! Which is terrible. I know, I know, there is this whole 'stop the glorification of busy' campaign going on right now. While I think the intentions are right, it's easier said than done when you're a college student in final year with 10000000 academic things to do, plus working like crazy to save up some cash and wanting to maintain a social life too! And what falls behind? SLEEP. But honestly, I love it this way. This is my last year and I intend to make the most out of it!

I know this reads like a badly-written diary entry; sorry for the lack of coherence. I'm listening to Christmas tunes in my cozy kitchen with several glasses of wine in me. Life is grand! :)

 So anyways, last year when I was home for Christmas I snapped some pictures of this amazing Advent calendar my mom made several years ago when my sister and I were still living at home; we alternated mornings and it was so fun! She would leave mini treasures for us because she is super adorable. It was too late in December to post it back then but I just stumbled on the photos again and thought there might still be time to inspire someone to make their own Advent calendar. It's a lot more meaningful than store-bought cartoon character ones that are just filled with chocolate [not that there is a problem with chocolate].

She used a staple gun to attach little organza gift bags to a set of wooden Ikea slats for resting your mattress on the bed frame (like these). Then she added sticker numbers 1-24 and cute scrapbooking decorations. As far as I know the idea was hers [because she is a genius.. can you tell I miss her?!]. It was inexpensive and easy, and has such a great result that can be, and has been, pulled out year after year! Yay mommy! Yay Advent calendars! Yay Christmas crafts!

I know I always say this, but I honestly have so much stuff to share. I just need to make time to do it. On Thursday my roommate and I are cooking a huge Thanksgiving, which should be fun. I'll have photos to share as well as a few non-gift crafts I can show now. :) Wheeeeeee, the holidays are upon us!! To those who think it's too early, I say, haters gonna hate, but you can't bring me down yo. Peace.

xoxo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...