Sunday, October 21, 2012

Make Your Own Smartphone Gloves

So I believe where I left off last time I was saying how busy I am with schoolwork for the next month... so naturally my procrastination instincts kicked in and I finished off this project I had been planning since August! :) 

This is a really quick and easy project that will be useful all through the autumn/winter for anyone with a touchscreen phone, iPod, camera, or any other iContraption currently on the market. As you know the good quality touchscreens only respond to the heat generated by your body, which is not transmitted through fabric. I remember struggling through a good chunk of last winter with the dilemma, 'Do I take my gloves off to respond to this text, and freeze my hand, or do I just ignore it?' Well my friends will all be glad to know that this year I'll be responding right away thanks to these handy new gloves (haha geddit?). The only finger I need for using the screen on my phone is my thumb, so I only made thumbholes, but adjust this to suit yourself!

You'll need a cheap pair of fleece (or other non-knit and non-fraying fabric) gloves that you aren't afraid to cut into a little bit, plus some 6-strand embroidery floss and a needle.


1. Cut a tiny hole into the finger you want, at roughly the spot you use to tap 
the screen. Make it much smaller than you want the final hole to be as it will stretch considerably while you sew.
2. Begin stitching around the edges using a buttonhole-type stitch, basically just looping the thread around the raw edge.


3-4. You'll probably need to go around several times so don't get discouraged if the stitches don't look nice and thick the first time - finish the whole hole and go back a second time to even out the stitches.


 

5-6. To finish off the stitching, loop the needle back under a stitch, and pull it taut on the inside of the glove hole. Tie it back on itself once more, making sure it's as taut as possible, and clip the excess thread off as close to the knot as you can. The knot should naturally retreat to the underside of the hole.

 I think it looks like a wee person in a parka or a sleeping bag!

xoxo

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

love this idea! I just got an android and have already had the battle in my head of cold fingers and use the phone or warm fingers and wonder who messaged me!

Georgie said...

wow, that is such a good idea!! I need something like that!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...