Sunday, September 30, 2012

Student Food that Tastes Like Real Food, Pt. 2

 Hello! What do you think of my new blog design? It's a bit of a work in progress but I'll be adding to it gradually. The most important thing for me was getting a new top banner photo, since the other one was getting a little old, i think. [Click here to see some of the older ones.]

Anyways... 
This year, I'm determined to squelch out my annual habit of relying on my evil go-to lunch of grilled ham and cheese toasties for every meal this time of year. Schoolwork gets ahead of me, the days get colder, the ham+cheese+bread+grill combo just calls to me. But not this year. I'm going through a really stressed out time right now and I'm noticing more than ever, that what I eat can really affect my mood and help me stay positive or drag me under. Even though I've always eaten healthy, I'm really getting huge satisfaction from making a little effort to cook real food [and also I'm running like a fool which is awesome too!]

So I thought I would share this omelette recipe for anyone else who might want quick lunch recipes that are healthy, affordable, adaptable to whatever you have at home, and deeelicious.

Spinach And Swiss Omelette

Needed:
100-200g cooked spinach leaves [frozen or fresh]
3 eggs
50cl milk
1/2 onion, chopped
1 head of garlic, chopped  
50g grated emmental, or cheddar, mozarrella, manchego, etc. [any hard mild cheese]
1 squirt lemon juice
Salt, pepper, and paprika to taste
Olive oil for cooking

I won't insult you by giving a step-by-step on how to cook an omelette :). But I will say if you're using frozen spinach, it totally works to just cook it in the pan for a couple minutes directly from frozen with the onion and garlic, and it thaws perfectly before you add the egg/milk mixture. And remember to leave some cheese for grating over the top when it's cooked!
 
 xoxo

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

That sounds delicious. Hmm...do I have spinach??

Megan said...

Oh baby.

How did you know I've been trying to come up with stuff I can make for lunch that doesn't involve a bagel, cream cheese and salami (although boy, do I love bagels with cream cheese and salami)?!!!

Love the new banner too, nice work!
xoxox

Kelly's Korner said...

I like the new blog design!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...