Saturday, September 1, 2012

Presenting Canon 60D: The Fleece Edition



 I'm finally here to present the secret present I was working on for my sister! Some of you might know she is studying photography in London and is a photo enthusiast, never going anywhere without her trusty Canon 60D. After I made this postage stamp pillow for my roommate, the idea really stuck with me of making pillow recreations of common objects that people love. So naturally for la sister it had to be a replica of her camera. I got the basic idea and started buzzing with possibilities right away as I always do. I have looked at so many detailed photos of Canon cameras that I could spot a 60D from 50 yards in the dark! That's not to say my replica is as exact as I would like... 


The body is constructed from interfaced fleece and is all hand-sewn. A few of the elements [such as the screen and viewfinder] are machine-sewn on for durability, but I really liked the look of exposed seams for the body so did that all by hand. Putting together the lens was definitely the trickiest part. It is too small proportionally, but the pillow would topple forwards rather than standing if the lens was any heavier [it has Peltex inside to hold the shape].


I didn't realize when I started this that I would need such a good grasp of geometry, which I do NOT have. It resulted in a lot of unstitching and restitching, recutting, and rethinking things. But that makes it all the more satisfying when you get it done!

The screen is a photo of us on the beach in Spain a couple years ago; it's a printed iron-on transfer that i put onto white muslin.
A few of the details are wool felt, and the rest is hand-embroidered. The embroidered Canon logo is by far my favorite part! 






I'm mostly extremely happy with how it turned out. But i think everyone who's taken on huge projects like this knows that when you get so involved in something [especially if you designed it yourself] then you have a very specific expectation, and if it doesn't work perfectly you tend to think it's a failure. I feel like that about some small aspects of it, but overall i am incredibly pleased and, most importantly, so is she!!




All photos courtesy of her [Maddie Holbrook] apart from the ones during construction and, obviously, the one where her real camera is present!

xoxo

10 comments:

Megan said...

B-E-A-uuuuutiful! And also you look muy guapa, never did manage to fit that in to our conversation earlier without sounding creepy. I like that lip colour on you ;) (I rest my case about the creepy).

I love it! Your sister is so lucky! Speak to you soon girlie: maybe you could invite me over for a vintage tea party or something, I dunno :P

Kelly's Korner said...

OMG!!!! Jenny, this is phenomenal! Maddie is a lucky girl! Haven was reading over my shoulder and was also super impressed. She said it looked like something professionally made. I agree!

Kelly's Korner said...

Are you on pinterest? I tried to link to you, but can't find you!

Jennifer said...

wooooooooooooowwww!! Holy cow Jenny! You made this from scratch??? And the picture on the back is the best part. I'm so impressed with the whole thing. really really cool:)

Anonymous said...

The picture on the back is the greatest. This gift is perfect even with your perceived imperfections. It came from a place of love and it would have made me cry had it been given to me. Great job!

pearlswirl said...

Awww, thank you all so much! Megan you're so sweet! Kelly, no I'm not on pinterest yet but I'm slowly being convinced that i need to sign up so I'm sure it will happen soon! And 'anonymous', this was probably your point but I have no idea who you are...

Katelyn R. said...

You finished it! I love it so much! Did you take it to her on a bus as planned? The picture on the back is awesome! And you have vintage tea parties??? Can I come?

Tarisa said...

this is AMAZING! and I love that you put the photo on the back - a stroke of genius!

Corinnea said...

You are a clever, clever girl!! That is just amazing!

Laura Caballero said...

Just fabulous!! What a wonderful sister you are, and thank you for sharing your talents with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...