Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Carrot-Apple Mini Cupcakes

I made these little babies last week; they are a cross between a muffin and a cupcake. What is the difference? Maybe if it's frosted it becomes a cupcake? Enigma.. Anywhoo, whatever they're called they are still freaking delicious. 

I adapted the recipe from Elsie's here. I just noticed she calls hers muffins, not cupcakes. Hmmm. The plot thickens. But I added a lot less sugar and had a more balanced apple to carrot ratio. And I used the same simple cream cheese icing I used here.
 

Needed: 
*250 g flour 
*100 g sugar
* 3 freshly grated carrots
* 2 peeled and diced apples
* 3 eggs
*210 g vegetable oil
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
* Hint of vanilla extract

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Don't worry if your carrot shreds are coarse and not well-blended because during baking they'll soften and behave. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 175* celcius. This made a batch of 24 mini-sized cakes in my silicone mold.

Frosting instructions found here.

With the reduced sugar and slightly reduced oil amounts, plus with the carrots and apple, these are relatively healthy for a baked good, plus you can totally omit the frosting for an even healthier snack or breakfast. For some reason I had always thought carrot cake would be really complicated before this! :o

 xoxo
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...