Saturday, June 23, 2012

Parfaits Have Layers

 The food i normally post about on my blog usually fits into a distinct category: very easy, few ingredients, very inexpensive, comes together quickly, other items can be substituted in. In short: not real recipes [and sometimes hardly even real food]. The noteworthy exception is last Thanksgiving, which I'm bragging about because we slaved like beasts and it turned out incredible. But i'm bragging in a small font to make it seem less like bragging. :) Anyways, I am totally happy with this type of food-post, because it represents my attempts to live a relatively healthy life while also spending as little as possible and wasting as little as possible too, and realistically knowing I don't have the time, energy or skill to spend forever in the kitchen. I post this kind of stuff in the hope that the style of food will inspire other students [or anybody] to be creative with what they have on hand and manage to use everything while still making tasty interesting stuff. 

So, for this parfait I added cinnamon and brown sugar to plain Greek yoghurt and layered it with pecan breakfast cereal and a granny smith apple. The combination of sweet and tart was delicious, and so much more exciting than cereal with milk. [Sidenote: people in the UK keep asking me if i put orange juice in my cereal instead of milk, "like all Americans". To that i say WTF?? Has anyone ever heard of this??]

And just to sum up my feelings about food and waste in general, here's a picture of my napkin from Pret a Manger in the London airport that I naturally had to stop and take a picture of in public like a freak. I love it so much!!

xoxo

P.S. who knows what movie the post title is from?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shrek? I love Greek Yohgurt so I must love this :)

Adrienne said...

Shrek! I love those movies. :)

And I LOVE that what that company is doing with their left overs! They should ALL do that!

And, that parfait looks YUM. I think I responded to everything in reverse order...

Anonymous said...

Donkey! Parfaits have layahs. Onions have layahs too. :)

Jennifer said...

Jon loves parfaits but not this kind1 The chocolate cool whip grham cracker kind! I have never heard of the orange juice in cereal thing (maybe some lovely american played a joke on this person??). I do put ice cold water in my cereal with a splash of milk! I am milk intolerant when it comes to big amounts like a glass of it or in my cereal. So I use really cold water and tiny bit of milk. Really can't tell the difference:)Love the napkin.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...