Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Books I'm Reading

ALL I DO THESE DAYS IS READ. 

'How nice for you', you might think. Well it's not. 98% of it is for my courses. BLEUGHHHHHHH. The rest for procrastination. Even though some of the school stuff is interesting (like this one mentioned here), I mostly want to share nice relaxing or even crafty reads. I generally feel guilty buying books when I could read things online (tree-hugger alert) but it doesn't count if they're gifts or second-hand, or from the friggin university library, more commonly known as the place where hope and positivity go to die*, or you just really wanted it.  





The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I LOVE The Great Gatsby. I should have been born in the 1920's. I would so get invited to Gatsby's crazy parties every time.

Any Human Heart by William Boyd
I bought this last year while at the airport going home for Christmas and my brain forms associations is strange ways... now that Christmas is coming up again, I feel like I have to read it again. They also made a miniseries for TV out of this but I'm too scared to watch it in case they ruined it (although I have heard it's quite good...)


The Language Instinct: The New Science of Language and Mind, by Steven Pinker
This is one I'm reading for one of my courses right now. It's called 'Origins and Evolution of Language' and my inner language nerd is loving this class! Studying everything from child language acquisition to animal communication to memory disorders. It probably does NOT interest you in the way it interests me, but this book is actually super cool if you've ever had any wondering about how babies learn to speak or why they say the ridiculous cute things they say, or why for example it's so easy for kids to pick up a new language and so hard for adults. It's not written like an academic textbook at all. Just the fact that this has color and nice fonts on the cover distinguishes it from EVERY other book in that dreaded unspeakable library.

***

(*Anecdote about why I hate the library: A couple weeks ago I spent an entire Saturday there typing up a big assignment for that Monday when suddenly my clumsy fingers slipped and I x'd out of my document. Calm down Jenny. Documents don't just disappear. You will find it. (... panic...) Well I didn't. Later I saw that there was an alert on every library desktop warning people not to download a document directly from their email and edit it without first saving it as a new document. Which is exactly what I did. Also while logging on, I closed the alert without reading it wondering why they were wasting my time with stupid alerts when I had an important paper to write. It's not total tragedy since I was able to recover some of it but I did lose a whole chunk.)

***

BUT. let's get real and focus on the good stuff... we all know why you're reading this blog and it's not linguistics...

... it's crafts! (Unless you happen to have come onto this post by google-searching 'linguistics books' in which case, I'm afraid, you may not like what's coming...)

I'm Dreaming of A Green Christmas by Anna Getty
THIS BOOK IS AWESOME. Again with the planet-lover stuff. I got it for Christmas last year and I wish I had invented every single project and recipe in it. It just inspires me to try and live more simply and naturally. And it shows that you don't have to be a stinky hippie to do right by the environment and also have, make, and eat gorgeous things.


The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and Online, by Kari Chapin

I do like this book a lot, but I was hoping for something a bit more. It's the ideal resource for someone who literally has no idea where to start on even setting up an online shop, or figuring out pricing, or things like that. I found it was saying a lot of things I already knew from common sense. But nevertheless I have learned some valuable stuff from it and what I like best are the interviews of famous and successful people who give good original ideas.






  














Last-Minute Patchwork And Quilted Gifts, by Joelle Hoverson
This book is just so beautiful and makes me feel like a domestic goddess just by reading it. I thought it might be a little old-fashioned but it's really not. I have made something out of this book already but I can't show it just yet cause there might be prying eyes.

The Handmade Home, by Country Living
This too is super inspiring and has some complex recipes for cold-process soaps and candles and artisan-type stuff. All a bit intimidating, but in the good way that makes you try new things. One project already in the works from this too but can't be shared til later!

 Sew a Metre by Rebecca Yaker and Patricia Hoskins (the British One-Yard Wonders)
Oh mee oh my, this is my most recent acquisition from le lovely boyfriend and if only i had more timeeeeeeeeeee, there are so many things I would already have made. I can't wait to do the laptop sleeve and a couple of the bags. Yum.

I have several other crafty books, I might show those another time. I'm building quite the collection. Maybe it's time to craft myself a bookshelf...


And finally.
The Cocktail: 200 Fabulous Drinks, by Jane Rocca
It has some classics and some crazy new concoctions, but everything seems of the utmost sophistication and her mixed-media illustrations on every page make it so pretty!
I cannot wait to pull this bad boy (gift from my ever-lovely sis) out on December 16th, i.e. my last exam of the year. I think I've said enough...

xoxo

My most favoritest band, Oasis, sadly is no more. But lead singer Noel has his new solo album out and it's just as good as ever.




(All images from amazon.com, except the Hoverson, from here, and the Pinker, from here.)

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Now I'm going to have to download The Great Gatsby on my Kindle. Thanks for the reading suggestions!

Megan said...

Ahh, Jenny, how I want all of those crafty books and the linguistics one as well. Yes, it DOES interest me in the way it interests you! And I felt the exact same way about the colour and fonts :P

I did recently cave in and ask for a Kindle for Christmas, simply because of the nomadic nature of my recent life, but one day once I'm settled, I will cover a whole wall of my library in craft- and cook-books. I swear.

Katelyn R. said...

I love The Great Gatsby too! I just finished reading a couple of books that were in the same era, and it so badly makes me want to join them. You're killing me with all the hints towards things you're making out of those crafty books. I think you should go ahead and post them... i'm sure the person that they are for will understand us seeing them before they get too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...