Thursday, March 17, 2011

HEARTS FOR JAPAN


I have found myself feeling so useless and helpless and angry over the too-sad-to-comprehend tragedies currently taking place in Japan. It's just so senseless. The frustration and sense of futility we feel too often overwhelms us, and we find that the easiest and safest (for ourselves) solution is to force it out of our minds and move on; what else can you do?

So I have decided to do something. I can't change the world; I know that. But I looked around and saw a part of myself that I think and hope can help. I designed these adorable 'Hearts for Japan' necklaces and am selling them in my shop. I will donate 100% of the proceeds ($15) to the British Red Cross Japan Tsunami Appeal. In addition, I will also donate 100% of the proceeds of all sales in my shop to the appeal for the next month.


These handmade and hand-painted ceramic beads are something I had in my supply stash for a long time, and the red heart on white background is so reminiscent of the Japanese flag and is just a perfect reminder to keep these tragedies in our minds, and to count our own blessings, on a daily basis.

I'm not pretending I can change the world or solve this catastrophe, but I truly believe that every small contribution helps. Please do also consider making your own donation here.

xoxo

6 comments:

Corinnea said...

You are a lovely person.

Kelly's Korner said...

Very cool! I just ordered one.

Kelly's Korner said...

Hey, I used your pic to repost about your necklaces. Is that ok?

pearlswirl said...

Thanks so much! They're selling so fast! And I forgot to say, OF COURSE you can use the picture on your own blog!! :)

Yash... said...

Bravo, you.

Anonymous said...

Love what you are doing! Also love what I ordered. Thanks for spreading something positive under such horrible circumstances. Best, Tiffany

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...