Friday, September 10, 2010

M-M-Morocco!

On our trip to Costa del Sol in southern-most Spain, we decided to take a day trip to Tangiers, the northern-most city in Morocco and one of Africa's furthest north cities. This is something I wanted to do for a looooong time and I'm so glad we did! I've never been somewhere so 'not-Western' for lack of a better expression.


My mom, sister and I got gorgeous traditional henna!


Dusty alleyways in the medina, or 'old-town' which is what you think of when you hear Morocco and where we stayed the whole time.


Traditional carpet store.


The entrance to a housing complex. People actually live here!


Street view.

(First five photos courtesy of my dad.)


We ate such a delicious meal of Moroccan chicken cooked in a traditional tajine, couscous and a sort of home-baked flat bread.


I was completely in awe of the beautiful handpainted pots. Usually if I'm being accosted by salespeople to buy something I'll instantly decide I don't want it and walk away but it's part of the experience here. I bought (actually bartered for! Go me!!) a beautiful silver bangle with traditional scrollwork. I probably still got ripped off but at least I tried!


The most delicious mint tea EVA. It always seemed ridiculous to me that people in many hot Arabic countries drink scalding tea to cool their body temperature but I thought, if millions of people do it there must be something to it! It may have just worked for me because I so badly wanted it to... it was... HOT.


Fruit market. One of the less-gross and better-smelling ones. Some were too disgusting and unsanitary to linger in... let alone completely stop and pull the camera out. I'm still glad I experienced it though... if only for the fact that it really made me appreciate things refrigerators and coolers.


It's a shame we only got to stay for the better part of a day here; I hate saying I've been somewhere if I've only gotten a taster version. However what I do know now is that I would love to go back and see more of Morocco and more of North Africa in general.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

really gorgeous photos! I love the henna!! Can you imagine me drinking hot tea at the store on a hot day???

corinnea said...

That looks like it was a fantastic trip. Beautiful photos! I love the hot tea, they do that in Turkey too.

lizy said...

awww, Beautiful pictures!love your traditional henna!!! how long did it take to get them done?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...