Friday, September 18, 2009

Thraftiness.

That's craftiness and thriftiness all in one! This project used to be a dress/nightgown thing that my grandma made for my mom when she was a kid. But needless to say it was a bit dated and just sitting downstairs in the basement. Until I found it, that is...


I wish I had a "before" picture but basically it was calf-length and straight down and out with mid-length sleeves. I cut it at the waist and cut small cap sleeves in. I made an elastic casing around the waist and sleeves and now they're elastic-y and cute!


I embroidered a flower pattern to the front using the satin stitch. Pattern found here. The embroidery took me longer than this project did! Although in my defense it was right in the middle of my moving.


Here it is in full.


The drawstring casing was already there with a string made from the same fabric. I added this Making Memories ribbon. The color of the ribbon (also the color of the embroidery floss) goes with the fabric really well but it also adds a pop of brightness and new-ness.

...

I am so excited to find crafty people just like me! I'm imagining that last phrase being said like a mother comforts her reject child. "Of course there are people just like you Jimmy!" Haha. Anyways, so far I have gone to candle-painting, mask-making, and canvas collage making workshops. It's so fun! Don't worry, I'm also doing some other college stuff. I don't want you to think I'm Jimmy the reject. :) :) :)

13 comments:

Katelyn R. said...

I love what you did. And I saw the before! good job. But that whole jimmy thing, just made me feel like "Bobby the reject".... maybe "franky...."

pearlswirl said...

Please, your name is Katelyn, so you'd have to be Kenny or maybe Karl the reject... hehehe Katelyn I love you, you're so funny.

How's life in the shop??

Anonymous said...

Hey you. Turned out really well! :) A canvas collage class??? PUT PICTURE SUP PLEASE. Now that's my kind of thraftiness :)

Anonymous said...

PS. It's Maddie

Adie said...

hahahahaha

This post cracked me up! I'm glad you're having a good time (I've been looking at your FB pictures) *and* still have time for crafting. The nightgown-turned-top is fantastic! When do classes start?

Yash... said...

I question the motivation for using "Jimmy" as the reject character...

TheBlackForrist said...

nicely done on the thraftiness... and don't worry, no one back here thinks you are "Jimmy" even if they do, haha, just kidding, they will all want to be your bff in no time!

Jennifer said...

You're not red-headed so you can't be "jimmy":) I LOVE all the upcycling (sp?) you've been doing!

and I saw some recent photos on facebook...when are you going to post them on your blog?? We are ALL very envious of what you're doing right now:) ALMOST makes me want to go back to school...almost.

Travel Raw said...

Good for you for jumping in - love all the projects and a great way to meet new people and make friends! -Tiffany

Yash... said...

Great title to the blog post, by the way.

corinnea said...

So glad things are going well right away and you're finding people just like you! Nice to know there are strange, I mean creative, people just like us all over the world.... The blouse is great, as all your things are.

Kelly's Korner said...

You're so cute! I love all the convo's inspired by Jimmy and Thraftiness! And the top!

lizy said...

Wow! You have been busy doing amazing work. love the top and you definitely need to post the pictures for all the cool projects you have been learning. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...