Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Sweater Tee And The Next Level



 I was inspired by Angry Chicken's very easy "tutorial" of cutting up a long tee for summer. Hmm. Taking something old to the next level. I made it more vintage-y and more me by adding buttery soft cream jersey ruffles (is it right to refer to fabric in terms of food? This could get dangerous.) to the sleeves and down the newly-opened front. But something was missing. 


Ta-da! A long romantic bow to pull it all together! So super easy. I found the trick was to really forcefully feed the ruffles under the foot while sewing, otherwise they tended to come out straight and not all ruffle-y beautiful. I wanted to be able to wear it in the colder months (of Scotland!) under a jacket, so I tried to make the sleeve ruffles small, hoping they wouldn't bag up under longer sleeves (major pet peeve of ugliness). However I don't think I succeeded; they still bunch up under a jacket. Ah well. 


Huge thanks to my budding-photographer sister for taking these gorgeous pics with her fabulous new camera. :)

I especially love that this was a repurposing project. I used an old tee from H&M, a few winters back. It definitely has that favorite tee, worn feeling but there was a huge hole on one of the sleeves. That's what got me into the idea of just cutting the sleeves shorter in the first place, before I found Angry Chicken. I feel that we now live in a world where it's unacceptable to throw out unwanted but usable items. I love the idea that creativity can be fused with recycling to come up with "new" things. What will you all be taking to the next level?

4 comments:

Katelyn R. said...

LOVE IT!!!! How cute! oh, and don't be TOO forceful with the fabric.... that's how i sewed through my finger...!

Mary said...

Wow, I'd so spend crazy money on that in a store. It's soooo cute! Is your mom going to let you take her sewing machine with you to school, so you can keep creating!

corinnea said...

I saw that same post on AC and was thinking of taking the scissors to my tissue t...... I really like what you did!

Maddie said...

Jen, I love it/them (your beautious creation/the pictures)!! Make me one?? Oh and thanks for the credit!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...