Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dresden's Not Dreary!

Some of you might know that last week Katelyn and I booked a trip through blind booking with Germanwings. Anyone with a sense of travel-adventure who's interested in traveling with a good airline at really great prices from Germany to most major European cities should look into this. We ended up with Dresden, not the most exciting or exotic of locations, but in true Jenny-Katelyn style, we sucked it up and had a fabulous time. Warning: "Fabulous" is my new favorite word. I will likely overuse it in this post.  

Here's the living room in our fabulous apartment. This was much much nicer than what we expected at the price we were paying. Katelyn is a hotel-picking goddess. She proved this first when we went to Munich and now again here. This was an actual apartment owned by a hotel company, and you rent the apartment from them, rather than staying in a hotel. This gave us an air of confidence and allowed us to walk around like we weren't tourists at all but simply two local girls sharing an apartment. Until we pulled out our cameras.

But good thing we did because look at all the gorgeousness! Dresden was famously bombed to the ground during WWII and everything you see there today has been completely rebuilt in the original style and location. Some rebuilt buildings, such as the very famous Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) below, incorporate some remaining original stones along with new stones, which gives buildings a two-tone effect. It was amazing to see how much detail has been put into remaking buildings the way they once were and to informing visitors about the city's history. This is definitely a city that's aware of its past and it has a great, conscious future ahead of it. 

I do love stumbling upon things and thinking "Wha-aaatt?" This little cart was one of those things. Turns out it's an ad for an antiques store a few blocks down. With its umbrella and old Gothic script, I thought it was totally blog-worthy. And now I see it on here, I know I was right. 

A fabulous little store shaped like an underground cave. Another one of those useless-but-charming shops that I seem to gravitate towards.


Another wha-aaat?? This obviously abandoned and very old "Filmtheater" butts right up against Dresden's main train station. The windows are boarded up and it looks like it's survived one or two fires. It was very eeery and still and I kept wondering what its story is and why it hasn't yet been restored. 

The little French girl in me wishes she could eat like this every night... we tried to balance enjoying the city with enjoying our relaxing space. I think we did pretty well: walk walk walk through the city all the live-long day, drink drink drink some wine and good conversation at the apartment into the wee hours of the morn... oh oh do we know how to relax. 

A dark night in Dresden watching... The Dark Knight! HAHA! All summer long they have this fabbity fab huge screen set up on the river bank (The Elbe to be exact) with rows of chairs and a bar and little bathrooms, with different movies playing every night at dusk! Monday night was The Dark Knight. I never saw it, so seeing it in German for the first time may not have been the way to go... but I got a good part of it even with my so-so German and Katelyn (who saw it in English) whispering and filling in the gaps.  

On Tuesday, our last day, we decided to take one of those (potentially cheesy) tourist boat rides down the Elbe. But again in true Jenny-Katelyn fashion, we made it the trendy thing to do. We had these little canvas stools and we managed to wedge ourselves into a secure nook between some boat machinery and some other people sitting. We've found that you can make anything trendy by adding a glass of chilled prosecco. An avenue we plan to explore in the future...

5 comments:

sasha said...

Oh my goodness, what a GREAT trip! LOVE the photo of your little apartment! Ok, really, I love all the photos. I think my fave is the filmtheatre photo, though. So interesting! Thanks for sharing Dresden with us!

Jenny P. said...

Yes, thank you! I shoudl have mentioned tht when I went to London it was thorugh the blind trip thingy. We paid the extra to weed out some places though:) This is so cool that you and Katelyn go on trips! Maybe she'll go visit you in Scotland!

Norma's Nonsense said...

I love your pictures! You must have taken lessons from your father, those are great!!! Looks like you sweet ladies had a great time!!

corinnea said...

Glad you guys had such a good time! Nice photos!

Katelyn R. said...

Oh my gosh! I saw a picture of that film theater online the other day and had super déjà vu. I thought I had been to it with you but had no idea where. So glad you linked to this because I had just convinced myself I had made it up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...