Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Perfect Day

My mom and I decided to drive to Strasbourg today to stock up on our favorite delicious French food (we do this every few months). It's about 1.5 hours away, just across the French border, and it is SO worth it!! We had a perfect day: first we leisurely meandered around the old downtown and found one of my favorite bead stores of all time, La Droguerie.




It's set up like an old-time drugstore, with jars upon jars of colorful beads and scoops to get them out. It makes me feel like a small child buying candy at a local general shop in the 30's. I was certainly giddy enough. Knitters, crocheters, and other textile lovers would also adore it. They DON'T sell fabric but they do have skeins and skeins of gorgeous wool, ribbons, buttons, feathers, threads and more buttons.


I bought oh so many beads... I'll have more posts soon showing you what I make!!


It was freezing out but sunny and gorgeous--look at the blue sky! We had lunch in a little restaurant right on the main cathedral square.


The cathedral, which is famous for only having one spire. Apparently, the architect died before the construction was complete, and they've left it like that ever since. Who knew?


Then, we meandered some more until we hit another of our favorite shops--La Cure Gourmande. This place, let me tell you, is pure sugar, fat and deliciousness wrapped up in one tiny, adorable, vintage-decorated and sweet-smelling shop!


One of their specialties is this little round cookie/cake filled with a pasty filling of fruit or chocolate. It doesn't even sound nearly as good as it is, believe me.


After consuming lots of rich, sweet things, we wandered around some more, checked out some clothes shops, found a very cool vintage-y flea market, went to the huge grocery store, bought some more yumminess, and drove home. Anyone who's thinking about planning a trip to Alsace or even France--you MUST see Strasbourg!



Couldn't do this every day. Well... that's a lie. I'm sure I could. But it's back to work tomorrow for me...

6 comments:

Katie said...

That does sound like a perfect day! Makes me jealous since its nasty and raining in Atlanta today.

Kelly's Korner said...

Love Strasbourg!

corinnea said...

Nice photos. I do like Strasbourg! Really like the big grocery store too!

stregata said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I will be looking forward to seeing your new creations. By the way, buying candy for a nickel (or equivalent) in little triangular bags at the corner store didn't go out of style in Germany until around the late 60's or early 70's.

Jenny P. said...

I need to go again with friends (not Jon)!! A couple of us should go some time...I'll leave the girls with the baby sitter:) That bead store looks sooo flippn cool! I'm so glad you got pictures!I want to go and I don't even bead!

karuski said...

Beautiful pictures and what a wonderful supply shop! I just visited Paris around Christmas but I'm already tempted to fly off to Strasbourg. Thanks for the inspiration:)

-minna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...