Monday, January 19, 2009

The Fabric Necklace of Loveliness

The other day, I was cutting fabric at the store for a lady who mentioned that she was using it to make a fabric necklace from a free Amy Butler pattern she found online. I was intrigued, so... I looked it up and it turns out she has all kinds of free and beautiful patterns, from quilts to pillows to fabric necklaces.

I loved the look of the fabric necklace so much, I decided to make it. Now, let me start by saying, I am NOT a sewer, and this pattern did involve some (most likely very easy) sewing. I really wanted to make it so I set off with my meticulous following of the pattern for a good portion of Sunday. I was enjoying it but didn't have too much idea what I was doing. To make a long story short,  I finished one Sunday but thought it was hideous. Like I said, I'm not a sewer, but I AM a perfectionist of sorts, so I decided to make it again today. It took me way less than half the time and it looks so much better!  


It's a long bias tube with tied knots and wooden beads (the pattern says styrofoam but I had some old wooden ones that worked perfectly.)

I used Bleeker Street fabric by Michele D'Amore, which I love. I can't wait to spice up a breezy summer dress and sandals with the necklace. Those summer days may be far (far far far) off right now, but I can always dream...

The pattern also said to sew up the ends with a bead inside, but I've decided to leave the ends open and tie a bow. I think it's prettier and more romantic that way.


I decided to get really really really super good at it and teach it as a class in April. Which means... I have to practice lots. So, sorry friends if you don't like it, because you'll most likely be getting some for your birthdays and other events.

6 comments:

mary said...

I love it! I agree with doing the bow, I can't wait to see it for real!

Sydney said...

I think it's adorable!

Kelly's Korner said...

I like it a lot and I think it will be a great class!

corinnea said...

Good for you! Ya gotta love A.B.

Adie said...

The necklace is awesome! I'm glad you brought it in today, so I got to see it up close and personal. Very cool!

Jenny P. said...

new fresh classes yeah! I want to see it in person!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...