Friday, January 30, 2009

Calling All Creative + Cultural People

Hello fellow cultural crafters! As you might or might not know, I recently wrote a Shop Local: Germany article for Etsy's blog, the Storque. And now, I'm writing a new Storque article! I love to explore and highlight things with an international flair to them, and this article will be keeping with that theme. I'm going to write about different traditions and holidays that we know as Fasching, Mardi Gras, Carnival, Mazatenango, etc., this year on February 20th. It is celebrated for the most part in all Catholic countries. These span over huge portions of the world and it's a great opportunity to explore how vastly different countries celebrate the same thing. (I know, I know, I'm a huge nerd.)

Here is my invitation to you: design an item of your craft and style that is either inspired by, created for, or depicting one of these celebrations. I will highlight some of these (and the Etsy shops they come from!) in the article. Send a magazine-quality photo, description of your item, and your Etsy seller name to me at jennyholbrook@gmail.com by February 13th to be featured in the article. You'll need to list it in your Etsy shop closer to the date of the article's publication so the article links to your item. In addition to being featured in the article, one submitted entry will receive a $20 gift certificate to my Etsy shop! The winner of this fabulous giveaway will be posted on February 18th, and the digital gift certificate will be mailed to them that night.

Anything can be submitted: from photos of street celebrations, to masks, to funky costume jewelry, to celebration-themed ceramics, to pillows, to clothes! You are all creative people!!! Use that creativity to highlight a celebration seen around the world and contribute to the greatness that is Etsy and handmade!

And to non-Etsy sellers, I am also looking for your magazine-quality photos from celebrations around the world to feature in the body of the article! Send them to me by February 13th to be included in the article; you will also be entered in the drawing to win a $20 gift certificate to my shop!

So, get cracking on your beautiful items and spread the word! This is a wonderful opportunity to gain exposure for your shop and increase Etsy's international appeal!! I look forward to seeing your entries, which I'll also post on my blog!

8 comments:

Emel said...

Jenny,
it is my first visit to your blog. I love it here ! It is full of inspiration, great ideas and creative pictures. I can feel the very warm aura of your blog. Unfortunately, no enough time with little Aslan to comment on every photo, even though i really want to.
I wish you lots of god luck with your blog !
Emel

Katelyn R. said...

oooo, sounds fun... i think i'm in! now what to make...?

pearlswirl said...

Thanks Emel! Thanks so much for taking the time to look and comment!

And Katelyn: yesss. You are potentially the most creative person I know... put it to good use...

Star of the East said...

Thank you for this lovely oppurtunity! Will mail you now :)

karuski said...

I just came across your blog as heard of this upcoming article from Dindi. Can't participate myself as I'm not so familiar with these celebrations. Theme sounds interesting though, can't wait to read the article soon:)

-minna

Kathy said...

I just sent you an Etsy convo, I would love to get in on this and I do have something to feature/list.
Had a nice visit to your blog, so fun!
Kathy

merimask said...

What a wonderful idea! I just sent my submission to you...thanks so much for the opportunity!

golden-meliades said...

Merimask told me to enter, so I probably will, cause I'm like that...and I thought of something new and interesting I could try for it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...